Form letters and being brushed aside

Received a “personal” email from state attorney general Pam Bondi’s office today with advice on how to handle my abusive ex… Thanks for reading all the details, especially the ones where I’ve said I’ve already reached out to DCF and retained lawyer…
And any police I contact tell me I need an injunction… Thanks for absolutely nothing

This is to acknowledge our conversation earlier this week in regard to your petition relating to an Injunction for Protection you are seeking against your spouse through the courts in Seminole County. Attorney General Pam Bondi asked that I respond.

We appreciate hearing from you. From reviewing our records, I note that you wrote to our office in December 2012 concerning a similarly related issue. For your convenience and review, I have included a copy of your previous correspondence, along with a copy of our prior reply (see copy below).

With regard to your current residency, if you are in fear of your safety, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement office by calling 9-1-1. In Florida, the police or sheriff’s department in each city or county is responsible for investigating crime at the local level. Those authorities operate independently and are not a part of the Attorney General’s Office. Since your petition mentions you have presently relocated to Tallahassee, I have provided contact information for the following local law enforcement authorities:

Tallahassee Police Department
Phone: (850) 891-4200

Leon County Sheriff’s Office
Phone: (850) 922-3300

For information about an Injunction for Protection which is being requested in the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit, you should continue to work with the local clerk’s office, which may be contacted at:

Seminole County Clerk of Court
Phone: (407) 665-4330
Info on Injunction for Protection:

Another resource you may wish to contact is the local Victim Advocate at the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit State Attorney’s Office for any assistance or information that may be available. The local Victim Advocate may be contacted by calling (321) 617-7555, or by sending an email to More information is available on the following website:!OpenView

Additionally, section 16.01(3), Florida Statutes, sets forth the powers and duties of the Attorney General. This office is not at liberty to give legal opinions or advice to private individuals. Further, as part of the executive branch of government, the Attorney General cannot supersede or circumvent the actions of the judicial branch. If you have concerns about a decision by a judge or about the outcome of a court case, please consider consulting a private attorney.

If you have a complaint about judicial conduct, the Judicial Qualifications Commission (JQC) is the independent agency created by the Florida Constitution to review certain kinds of complaints involving judicial conduct. The contact information for the JQC is:

Judicial Qualifications Commission
1110 Thomasville Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32303-6224
Telephone: 850-488-1581

Again, it is in your best interest to contact and work with a private attorney if you need legal advice concerning this issue. If you need help finding an attorney, The Florida Bar offers a Lawyer Referral Service toll-free at (800) 342-8011.

Please understand the Attorney General’s duties are prescribed by law. Thank you for contacting Attorney General Bondi’s Office.

Beverly Bailey
Office of Citizen Services
Florida Attorney General’s Office
PL-01, The Capitol
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1050
Telephone: (850) 414-3990
Toll-free within Florida: (866) 966-7226

2 thoughts on “Form letters and being brushed aside

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s